There’s little doubt that fiberglass pools have a number of things going for them when compared to gunite. Fiberglass pools are much easier to install – you can typically have them in place ready to go in a few weeks where gunite might take months – they have an appealing smooth surface, they’re easy to repair and they’re less expensive than gunite. There are some things though, that can drive up the price of a fiberglass pool and we’ll take a look at some of them here.
Beware These Fiberglass Pool Installation Budget Busters
On average fiberglass pools will cost about 25-30% less than a gunite pool to install. If you’re not careful though, you many never see those savings. Here are some things that can cause you to pay more for your fiberglass pool installation than you need to.
- Accepting the first quote – Don’t assume that because one company quoted you a high price that you’ll get that same quote from everyone else. You may receive a high bid from one company because they’re busy and have nothing to lose. Not shopping around is a good way to spend too much.
- Super-Sizing – Some folks – enamored of the fact that fiberglass pools are less expensive than comparably sized gunite pools – will opt for a larger pool than they originally planned to have. Of course larger means more expensive and they’ll wind up paying as much as they would have for a smaller gunite pool.
- Not getting the soil tested – Not getting the soil tested could result in the project grinding to a halt when the contractor hits an enormous rock or unstable soil. If this happens you may have to relocate the pool; in which case another hole will need to be dug which the contractor is not going to do for free.
- Extras – This is where most folks run into trouble with cost overruns. Everyone wants a diving board, a slide and a custom lighting setup. Who can say ‘no’ to a one of a kind shape, waterfalls, spas and more? Well, you can if you want to keep the cost of the pool within your budget where it belongs.
- Time of year – If you want your pool installed during the mid-summer months in Toronto you’ll need to join the queue and pony up. If you have your pool installed in the spring or fall however you may get a better pool installation price because the contractor needs the work.
It’s hard to get a straight answer sometimes about the cost of pool installation because there are so many things that could affect the final price. However if you plan carefully, get multiple bids, have your soil tested before excavation begins and keep the extras to a minimum you should wind up with the beautiful fiberglass pool you want at or near the price you originally expected.
Keep in mind that even if you wind up paying more for the installation of your fiberglass pool than you originally intended you’ll still save substantially on chemicals, maintenance and repair costs over the long haul when compared to vinyl or gunite pools.
Seabreeze Pools has years of experience installing fiberglass pools of every shape and size for homeowners all over the Toronto area. We handle every aspect of the process for you from initial design to excavation, installation and finish landscaping. Our pool installation specialists are the best in the GTA and have a well-deserved reputation for the quality of their work. Call us today to find out more about beautiful fiberglass pools, the process of installation and whether one is right for your home.