Pool maintenance, whether you do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you, can be a tedious, time consuming endeavor, especially if you own a concrete pool. No one wants to do it but, like car maintenance, it must be done. The best way to minimize the time, effort and money that goes into pool maintenance is to not let things get out of hand. Below our pool builders chime in with their opinions about how to keep your pool looking its best year round.
How Pool Builders Keep Pools Looking Great
Keeping your pool clean isn’t rocket science but it does require someone to do the work. Below are the essential steps our pool builders say should be taken to keep your pool in tip-top shape.
- Cover it – This is number 1 because it’s the simplest, most effective way of keeping unwanted dirt and debris out of your pool whether during the dog days of summer or the middle of winter. Pool covers are the must-have accessory every pool owner should invest in.
- Skim it – Skim the surface twice a week during the summer to remove minor dirt, debris, twigs and insects. Skimming regularly makes the job of the filter that much easier.
- Chlorinate it – Check the chlorine levels regularly to make sure they’re where they’re supposed to be. Also check the chlorine dispenser once a week to make sure it’s properly stocked and working.
- pH it – While you’re checking to make sure you have adequate chlorine and that the levels are correct, check the pH levels as well. If it’s too low the chlorine won’t be able to do its job. pH levels, like chlorine levels can be tested in just a couple of minutes using a simple kit.
- Vacuum it – You should vacuum your pool once a week during the high use season. This will help prevent algae from taking hold but will also just keep it looking great. If you vacuum regularly it will be a simple and easy process.
- Backwash it – Make sure you backwash the filter after vacuuming the pool. This only takes a few minutes and keep the filter in top working order, which is essential to maintaining a clean pool.
- Clarify it – On occasion pool water can become cloudy. It’s not usually a big deal but it looks strange and uninviting. Pick up some pool clarifier, use the recommended amount and your pool should be back to its sparkling self the next day.
- Winterize it – Winterizing your pool is a necessity in Toronto unless you want a huge cleaning project on your hands next spring. You can purchase winterizing kits from your pool builders. Once the winterization process is complete there are other steps you’ll want to take during the winter months to make sure things will be looking good come April.
- Check the pH and chlorine levels twice a month.
- Check the cover each week to make sure it’s on properly.
- Check the skimmer basket once a week and empty it when necessary.
- Check to make sure the water level hasn’t dropped below the skimmer basket.
- Turn on the pool lights once or twice a week to prevent damaging moisture buildup.
The pool builders at Seabreeze Pools Toronto recommend you make a copy of this list and keep it handy. There is no secret to keeping your pool looking good and running smooth. All it takes is building good pool maintenance habits. If you have any questions about pool maintenance, pool cleaning or installing a beautiful inground pool in your yard, give us a call on 416-238-9703 and talk to one of our friendly associates.