An inground pool will open up the yard and make your home a destination for friends, neighbours and just about everyone the kids ever met. And that brings up an important question you need to ask before any excavating begins: why are you installing a pool? How you answer that question will go a long way toward determining what type of pool you end up with. Failure to answer that question could leave you feeling something’s not right after the pool is installed.
Different Uses Call for Different Styles of Fiberglass Pools
When it comes to installing a pool in your Toronto yard there are myriad answers to the question “why”. Here are some of them:
- To stay fit – This is a great reason to have a pool. Swimming is the most complete form of exercise you can do as it targets nearly every muscle group and provides cardio benefits as well. Fiberglass pools intended for swimming laps need to be large, have an unobstructed swimming lane from end to end and are more often than not rectangular in shape.
- To keep the kids entertained – Kids love fiberglass pools. It doesn’t matter the country or the climate. Install a pool and you’re guaranteed to see more of the kids around the house instead of seeing them take off down the street on their bicycle. If you have more than 1 child and they have lots of neighbourhood friends you may want a fairly large pool with a fun shape and some amenities like a slide. You’ll also want to keep it fairly shallow.
- To entertain friends and business associates – Some quiet conversation by the pool perhaps followed by dinner in your outdoor kitchen will leave even the most jaded adult impressed. But if you intend to use the pool as a backdrop for sophisticated dinner parties you’ll want to forego the slide and install the most elegant design you can find, and then spend a few bucks on a first class lighting scheme that extends right into the pool itself.
- To increase your home’s value – If the pool is intended primarily to increase your home’s market value you’ll want to take into consideration what type of home buyers you’re likely to attract. If yours is a family oriented neighbourhood you’ll want the pool to lean more toward the fun-in-the-sun type described above. If your neighbourhood is one that will attract more urban professional types you’ll want a pool with a more restrained, sophisticated air about it.
- To just plain relax – There’s no law that states you have to have a particular agenda when it comes to your pool. Maybe you just want to use it to unwind after long days at the office or swim the occasional lap or to have some fun with friends once in awhile. If that’s the case the most important consideration becomes your own personal taste. What type of pool really floats your boat. That’s the pool you should get.
Inground fiberglass pools typically become the nexus of domestic life and the generator of countless memories. The key to making sure the pool is exactly what you hoped it would be is to ask yourself up front: “Why do I want a pool?” and then use the answer to that question to drive the major design considerations.
If you’re in the least bit unsure what type of pool may be right for you and your home call the backyard experts at M.E. Contracting. We install more fiberglass pools than anyone else in Toronto and will make sure you end up with the pool that’s a perfect answer to the question ‘why’.